Processing your order, Shipping and Dispatch
The following information forms an integral part of our Business Terms and Conditions. Click here to visit terms and conditions.
Processing your order
We always pick out the happiest and healthiest plants for dispatch. Your tree will be one of many grown and will not look identical to the image of that size and/or species you have viewed in our shop. The photographs of stock are representative images. Young trees are like children; within any age group they are variable in shape and size, but all of them are delightful!
Your tree may have been pruned: We prune our stock. Eucalyptus are mad about producing a great deal of top growth and sometimes forget about their roots. For this reason we nip out shoot tips and often the growing tip to slow them down (it removes growth hormones, which are held in the shoot tips). This makes them concentrate on building up their roots, strengthening their trunk and becoming more bushy up top. Young Eucalyptus have particularly soft foliage and stems. If any minor damage is sustained in transit, this is not a problem; just pruned it off and new shoots will soon regrow.
Timing to dispatch: We aim to send out your order the week after we receive cleared funds in our bank account. Generally, orders are picked on a Monday and hydrated for their journey, packed on a Tuesday, collected by the courier on Wednesday and delivered to you on Thursday, Friday at the latest. Your order should certainly be with you within 14 working days of order, unless you have arranged otherwise. If for any reason this is not possible, or we anticipate a delay in your order being ready for dispatch, we will contact you and advise you when you will receive your order. If this is not acceptable to you, we will offer you the option of a full or partial refund, as appropriate. If you would like your order for a specific date, have dispatch delayed until you are back from holiday and ready to plant it, then do please ping us an email and let us know what you would like to do.
Ordering on line: You will receive an email when your order is being processed and advised of when your order is in transit.
Ordering by telephone: Yes, this is possible. Just call us on 0751 526 1511 between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday and we are happy to help.
Ordering by post: You are welcome to order by post, please include your telephone number (preferably your mobile number) so we can contact you to confirm details.
Eucalyptus in Safe Places: Please advise us of a safe place to leave your parcel: it could be the front porch, back garden, local corner shop (if willing), friendly neighbour guaranteed to be home. Many couriers will not leave your parcel unless you are home to receive it and in some instances, it can take up to 4 days to re-arrange a delivery, which is not great for your tree. Some drivers will leave the parcel if you pin a signed written instruction on your front door, detailing where to deposit the parcel, if you are out at the time of delivery.
Packaging: All plants are dispatched in sturdy, purpose-made cardboard boxes. Pots are put in plastic bags to prevent leaking and if the plant is tall, it is secured to a bamboo cane to prevent it from flapping around. Sometimes the very top of the tree is folded over inside the box; it is soft and flexible and will soon bounce back - this is quite normal.
Shipping of large orders: If you have a large order of say 12 x 3 litre plants or more, this may be shipped on a pallet, through the pallet network.
Sometimes we will make a timber crate for them to travel in, if required. Delivery is to kerbside only. You or your representative will need to be present at the time of delivery to check and sign for the consignment.
Collecting from the Nursery: We are more than happy for customers to collect trees from our nursery dispatch area (which happens to be in our car park!), by appointment. After all, this saves you the cost of shipping.
Please be aware that our nursery is a commercial production nursery and not open to the general public or cold callers. Collections need to be booked in for a specified date and time, to ensure that somebody is available to meet you and hand over your order. To make an appointment please call us on 0751 526 1511.
The cost of shipping your order applies to delivery to one address only. If you place an order for goods to be delivered to two or more addresses, the cost of shipping will increase accordingly to cover shipping to each destination.
To postal addresses with in mainland UK, excluding Highlands and Islands (see below):- We charge a flat standard rate haulage fee of £10.00 per tree order.
The more you order, the more economical it is for you (the customer), because Grafton Nursery is subsidising the cost of haulage.
To postal addresses of the UK designated as Highland and Islands, including Northern Ireland, Channel Isles, Isle of Man, Isle of Wight. We charge a flat standard rate haulage fee of £20.00 per order from 1 litre up to 5 litre pot sizes for plants less than 1.2m tall overall. The more you order, the more economical it is for you (the customer), because Grafton Nursery is subsidising the cost of haulage. (For shipping costs for larger specimen trees, see below.)
Overseas Orders within the EU: we are more than happy to ship to postal addresses within the EU. Please ask us for a shipping quotation.
So far we have successfully shipped orders to Ireland (both North and South), Isle of Man, Isle of Wight, Channel Islands, Scilly Isles, Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Hungary, Italy, Portugal, Poland, Sweden, Switzerland and Spain.
Shipping costs are quoted on an individual basis to countries in the EU. Because couriers are constantly moving the goal posts with their pricing, we will always obtain a ‘best value’ quote for shipping to these locations on an individual basis. The costs of shipping is handed directly on to the customer at cost.
Call us on 0751 5261511 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to ask about shipping costs.
Overseas Orders outside of the EU: We are sorry, but we do not ship outside of the EU. The phytosanitary laws of many countries are complex and often prohibitive, but we do endeavour to put customers in touch with nurseries who may be able to help them, within their own country.
Shipping of large specimen trees: Call us on 0751 5261511 or email us at email@example.com to ask about shipping costs. We use the pallet network system and will always get you the best possible quote for transportation.
If you are interested in a specimen tree in a 45 litre pot or larger and/or which is over 1.2m+ in height, we will
- 1) obtain the best available quote for you from a reputable courier or
- 2) deliver the tree order with our own transport for which we will give you a quote or
- 3) you can collect the tree order from our nursery by appointment.
Contact us by telephone on 0751 526 1511 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- 1) We dispatch all year round except under severe weather conditions, such as several inches of snow or when the temperatures are consistently below freezing or there is severe flooding, but we will advise you at the time.
- 2) We are a very small team at the nursery and so we do not dispatch on the weeks when we are exhibiting at shows - please see our events calendar.
- 3) We usually pick plants and package them for dispatch on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, but at busy times this may be any day of the week, excluding Fridays.
- 4) Plants are sent to you by 24 hour courier service, but sometimes they get held up and so will deliver the next working day. Plants should be no more than 48 hours in transit, except over weekends when they may take a couple of days longer - Eucalyptus can cope with this.
- 5) We only use reputable couriers and select the best delivery company for your size of order.
- 6) Need your tree in a hurry? If you require an urgent delivery or a delivery on Saturday, please contact us either by telephone or email. The cost of additional haulage will be calculated and charged at cost.
- 1) Upon receipt, please immediately open your parcel at the bottom; then slide the box up and over the tree and check the contents is all in order.
- 2) Give your plants a drink (soak them in a bucket of water) and place them somewhere very light, sheltered from the wind and protected from frosts until planted.
- 3) Read the care leaflet emailed or supplied with your order; this may be attached in the clear polythene envelope on the front of the parcel or inserted in with the tree.
- 4) Finally, it is always good to hear from customers and we do like you to send us an email to let us know your order has arrived safely.